Not simply related to aging, there are many people who are concerned with how to thicken hair that has become limp, weak and that shows signs of thinning. Here's why your hair might be losing its thickness, as well as the best hair thickening products and techniques.
Why does hair lose thickness naturally?
The most common reason for a gradual loss of hair in volume and thickness is age. The result is that the new hair emerging from the follicle is thinner, and eventually the same stem cells stop producing melanin (the colour pigment), so these wispy thin hairs turn white or grey.
Medical conditions can also cause thinning hair. An irritated scalp due to eczema, for example, can cause follicles to become blocked and prevent new hair growth. Autoimmune and/or genetic disorders cause hair to thin or even fall out entirely, while some medications can have an adverse effect on hair thickness. Temporary hair loss/thinning hair most often occurs after the body experiences a major shock that disrupts the hair's normal growth pattern.
What bad habits can cause thinning hair?
Before you can thicken hair, it's essential to know what habits might be thinning it. While genetics and medical conditions are sometimes responsible, they're not the only culprits!
Pulling at our hair and keeping it in very tight styles gradually weakens the hair strand and the follicle it emerges from.
Lifestyle plays a major role in the quality of our hair. Factors such as stress and nutrition (vitamin deficiency) have been directly linked to poor hair quality, as well as unhealthy habits such as smoking and crash dieting.
6 ways for how to thicken your hair's appearance
1. First things first, check off the "bad habits" list above!
2. When washing the hair, use your fingertips to massage the scalp in gentle circular motions to stimulate blood flow and promote the healthy growth of new hair.
3. Use hair thickening products like the Serioxyl Denser Hair Serum, the Volumetry volumising root spray as well as the Volumetry shampoo and conditioner from the Serie Expert haircare range by L'Oréal Professionnel.
4. Choose a hair colour that makes hair look thick and healthy. Avoid brassy undertones which make hair look flat, and ask your hair stylist about introducing some subtle highlights and lowlights that give depth to the hair (a technique known as hair contouring).
5. Have your hair trimmed regularly to prevent the development of split and uneven tips, which will cause the hair to look thin and straggly. Even, well-cut hair automatically looks fuller and healthier.
6. When styling, use a comb to lightly tease the hair at the roots for instant natural-looking volume. Be careful not to damage the hair, so comb gently.
Hairstyles to thicken appearance of hair
One of the simplest ways of how to thicken hair, or the appearance of it, is through your hairstyle. Here are four of our favourite looks to thicken hair.
Layers give body to your hair, while a lightly tousled finish is very contemporary and gives the impression of volume and movement..
Long wavy bob
Because the longer the hair is, the thinner it tends to look, we recommend a long bob. Style it into waves rather than poker straight, which can draw attention to thinning hair.
With a choppy bob, the hair is light, not weighed down, and can be styled into fun, textured sections to give volume and versatility: perfect if you want to thicken hair.
A swooping curtain or sideswept fringe works like an optical illusion; it gives the impression that your hair is thick and full all the way round, drawing attention immediately to your eyes.